Restricting Technicians by IP Address

I want to implement this without locking myself out of the Server if I make a mistake.

Does this work on public Internet IP Addresses or your actual Lan IP address. My server hosting simple help is in a datacentre not on my Lan. Therefore I want to put in the public IP address of our Internet as the allowed IP Address for the office not my lan ip address range.

Would it be a better idea to setup an openvpn lan range for when connecting to Simple help from outside the office instead of having to set an ip address for every client.

It works by public IP addresses, so I have put in mine and my business partner. We have a part-time technician who’s on a dynamic address, and we were going to implement a VPN for them. We rarely need to access the technician app from a client location these days ourselves.

Is your server a windows server? If so, don’t forget to add 127.0.0.1 as well as your public IP address so at least you’ve got some way of remotely accessing the technician client.

I should add that we turned off the IP restriction because in version 5.11, it blocks people from using the remote work facility. Apparently this should be resolved in 5.12, which is due out next week according to George.

I don’t use the remote work facility. I will try this and see if it works. I am not sure that I understand what you mean by adding 127.0.0.1 for accessing the technician client? What happens if you only put your public IP address?

My openvpn connection actually connects to the host machine running the VM, not the VM that is running Simple Help, so I probably won’t be able to use that. For the moment I will set it up to work from the Office as this is where 90% of the access occurs.

I do sometimes remote onto the server with another remote access tool and use that to do a technician session, sometimes just for admin. Sometimes if I’m out and about and want to use my ipad, that’s the only way

I see what you mean now. I don’t think that I will do it that way, although that is an option.