Wake On Lan Setup

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knew what port the WOL function in Simple-Help uses? I have a machine I used to access with it no problem but then I had to change the machine, I set WOL up but so far Simple-Help just doesn’t reach the machine, I was wonder what port it uses so I can setup the firewall on the other end correctly.

Thank You!

There is no firewall setting you need to use. WOL will only work if there’s another PC on the same lan as the machine you want to wake up that’s accessible through Simplehelp. The WOL command gets a running machine to send a WOL magic packet on the LAN, using the Data Link Layer. The Magic packet includes the destination machine’s MAC address.

This is what wikipedia says:
The magic packet is a broadcast frame containing anywhere within its payload 6 bytes of all 255 (FF FF FF FF FF FF in hexadecimal), followed by sixteen repetitions of the target computer’s 48-bit MAC address, for a total of 102 bytes.

Since the magic packet is only scanned for the string above, and not actually parsed by a full protocol stack, it could be sent as any network- and transport-layer protocol, although it is typically sent as a UDP datagram to port 0,[6] 7 or 9, or directly over Ethernet as EtherType 0x0842

1 Like

Thanks! That makes sense, I used to have a machine that was on the network and thus that’s why it worked, didn’t even think about that!

Yeah it all takes a bit of getting used to. We use WOL a lot, it freaks people out actually!

So how many users have you got in Simplehelp? Do you support multiple companies? Just curious as to how people use this product, which I hasten to add is amazing!

Yes we support a lot of companies, close to 800 machines right now. This is truly an amazing product! We’ve been using it for a very long time.

Slightly more than us, we support just over 600 machines. Several companies.

Only thing we really miss is built-in patch management, and possibly more telemetry.

1 Like