Disabling TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 and older ciphers

On this page - https://simple-help.com/security-guide - there are instructions for disabling older TLS and cipher versions. Is this necessary if you use IIScrypto to disable these protocols on the Windows Server or are those protocols built into Simple Help?

It would make more sense over the years to simply disable older protocols and ciphers using IIScrypto for all programs rather than editing each and every service installed on the Server.

1 Like

You’ll need to configure SimpleHelp separately unfortunately. IIS Crypto is a useful tool but it’ll only control the protocols and ciphers used by IIS, so any software that is not IIS based (like SimpleHelp) isn’t configurable using it.

Just so that you know, IIS Crypto is a free tool that gives administrators the ability to enable or disable protocols, ciphers, hashes and key exchange algorithms on Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2016 and 2019. It is not exclusively for IIS despite the word IIS being in the name.

However, I will disable it in the Simple Help settings as well as it doesn’t hurt.

As far as I know, changes made by IIS Crypto do take effect in Windows but only for applications that utilise Windows’ SSL/TLS (Secure Channel, schannel.dll), which I ainclude IIS as well as .NET apps. As SimpleHelp is based on Java and Java uses its own SSL/TLS libraries, it’s possible changes you make to Windows via IIS Crypto won’t have any effect on SimpleHelp.

As far as I know, changes made by IIS Crypto do take effect in Windows but only for applications that utilise Windows’ SSL/TLS (Secure Channel, aka Schannel), which I assume iincludes IIS as well as .NET apps. As SimpleHelp is based on Java and Java uses its own SSL/TLS libraries, if Java’s is totally independent of Windows’ it’s possible changes you make to Windows via IIS Crypto won’t have any effect on SimpleHelp.