How to: Automate a Non-Domain Workstation Local Group Policy change in a Toolbox

WARNING: TEST THIS FIRST! DON’T DO THIS ON PRODUCTION SYSTEMS WITHOUT TESTING

A new Win10 PC doesn’t have any policies set, so there isn’t a Registry.pol file in C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine or User
If you want to reset a PC back to OEM config with no policies, simply delete the Machine & User folders then run GPUpdate.exe /force

PREP:
Here’s the steps to take to create a backup of the policy change:

1. Go to a clean PC and go into GPEdit.msc and make the policy changes manually that you want to automate
  2. Download LGPO.exe and add it to the System32 directory from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55319
  3. Create C:\GPO folder (use any folder you want, I’m just using this folder in this tutorial)
  4. To make sure the changes are showing up in the Registry.pol file, run the following: LGPO.exe /parse /q /m C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Registry.pol
  5. If everything looks good, create a backup in a text file (same command as above) with an output: LGPO.exe /parse /q /m C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Registry.pol > NEW_POLICY.txt
  6. Edit the text file and remove any entries you don’t want changed in any other PCs

THE TOOLBOX:
Create a toolbox that drops LGPO.exe into the C:\Windows\System32 directory, and the NEW_POLICY.txt file to C:\GPO
Here’s the BAT script to create in the toolbox:
lgpo.exe /r C:\GPO\NEW_POLICY.txt /w C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Registry.pol /v
gpupdate /force
ipconfig /flushdns
<add any cleanup commands to remove the files/folders you created>

Let me know if I missed anything.

Drew