Showing in Add\Remove Programs... or not

I’ve notice that I can go the portal from a new endpoint, login, download the Remote Access installer, and run it and SH is installed and working… but NOT in the Add\Remove Programs list. However, if I take that very same binary and install it using a script from our RMM tool… it DOES show up in the Add\Remove Programs list. Are others seeing this behavior?

I’m not concerned so much about it being flagged as we manage Cylance for all our clients. I’d prefer that it NOT show up so that the user isn’t trying to uninstall it. But I don’t know how to make it NOT show up when installing from a script. And we can’t install it manually on 1000 different systems. :frowning:

Yes, but I don’t remember exactly the cause.

Are you using an installer you created from the preconfigured service menu? or just the standard simplehelpurl/access ?

And what parameters are you using when you install?

I think it has to do with the NOshortucuts option.

I will see if I can test it out.

The NOSHORTCUTS option does not affect it.

Logging into the web portal, from the endpoint, downloading and installing ends up NOT IN Add/Remove Programs…

Creating an installer. Downloading it OR using it in an RMM script ends up IN Add/Remove Programs.

You are correct, I was wrong. It was the silent parameter that triggered it.
Remote Access-windows64-online .exe /S
Whenever you use /S it adds it to the add remove programs menu.

You can also confirm this by adding the silent parameter to your download URL

http://your server address/access?silent=yes

https://simple-help.com/kb---creating-a-preconfigured-remote-access-service-for-silent-installation#silent-or-batch-deploying-via-command-line-parameters

I’ll try that in the script and get right back to you. Thanks.

Hmm… I disagree. IMO it’s bad practise for a program to hide its presence on a computer. It’s very non-standard on Windows. If users are of a mind to go uninstalling applications willy nilly then that’s a different problem. Probably shouldn’t have admin rights in the first place :slight_smile:

1 Like

User powershell to add the SystemComponent = 1 and that will hide it from Add/Remove Programs

New-ItemProperty -Path “HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Remote Access” -Name “SystemComponent” -Value 1 -PropertyType DWORD

You can push this out to all your systems or make it part of your installer. We have a bunch of on-boarding scripts that run right after the agent is installed and this will typically take care of SimpleHelp and other items we install. Hope this helps!

2 Likes